I'm wondering how to interpret this ominous-sounding item in the FAQ for the new mail system:

>Can I still auto-forward to another e-mail service?
>
>Yes. The new e-mail service will provide an e-mail forwarding function that can be used to auto-forward all incoming e-mails, including those marked as spam, to another service or account. Documentation is being developed and will be available by the launch date.

That makes it sound as though autoforwarding will have to be repaired manually when the new mail system goes on line -- that the new system won't inherit the old's autoforwarding.   If so, that is going to make a lot of work -- reminding people to do it, reminding people how to do it, helping people get their stranded e-mail that arrives in the interval between the switch to the new system and the repair to autoforwarding.

And how is this consistent with the idea that the old mail system will continue to be available for 6 months after the new one is turned on?  I understand how that is done for the web client, but what about the mail servers?  Will users get to choose the moment when their mail is handled by the new server?

Maybe this would be a good time to get more of our users to switch to using the mail.msu.edu system instead of our departmental one.   Nineteen days is rather short notice to accomplish something like that, though.

John Gorentz
W.K. Kellogg Biological Station