Usually in the case of emergencies or outages I report the problem to the helpdesk regardless of whether or not there is someone at ATS who is willing to be contacted directly.     One ATS person once made a request that in certain types of situations I call the helpdesk AND call her directly.  If she is available to help expedite the issue, she would prefer to do so, but she isn't always available.   She isn't the only person at ATS who operates like that, but I'm pretty sure most persons prefer not being called directly.  The helpdesk is the sure way to get the problem properly reported.    That's a way I like to have problems reported on our end, too.

In the past few years I've found the helpdesk to be quite responsive, whether I'm reporting a problem by phone or e-mail.  The helpdesk people seem more eager and quick to get the problem reported to the proper persons than in olden times.

It used to be I had to go into a lengthy explanation of how we're not in East Lansing, but yes, we're part of the University, but no, our connections/facilities don't follow the same pattern as everyone else's.  Eventually the helpdesk person would give up trying to understand that and would report the problem to the proper persons.  It just became part of my normal problem-reporting procedure: I'd have to wear them down until they'd be willing to do it.    But I don't even have to go through that so much any more.

John Gorentz
W.K. Kellogg Biological Station