For the simpler data recovery operations (i.e. not a catastrophic hardware failure) is usually rely on the GParted Live CD and the Helix 2.0 LiveCD.  THe second is actually geared toward computer forensics, but not surprisingly data recovery and forensics have a lot of overlap.  Since it sounds like you are just trying to deal with deleted partitions, I would recommend you using these (or other) free utilities to restore/recover your data.  This is assuming that you haven't tried writing much new data to the drive after deleting the partitions in question.

ps: I would recommend using ddrescue (based on dd) to get an image of the disk before you start tinkering with it.  That way you have something to go back to and can try multiple methods.

Stephen Bogdanski
Network Services
College of Veterinary Medicine
Michigan State University

>>> John Gorentz <[log in to unmask]> 11/6/2008 10:12 AM >>>
Has anyone used Data Recovery Service (517-351-2371, on Grand River Avenue) lately?   We've used them a couple of times over the past several years, and now would like to get in touch with them again.  But we're having trouble making a call to that number, as well as to at least one other phone number with a 517-351... .  (We're near Kalamazoo-Battle Creek, in the 269 area.)    We don't get a message saying the number has been disconnected, just that the call cannot be completed.   This has been going on since late yesterday.   Our Nextel phones give the same result.  The so-called "information services" are not providing us with any information.   So we don't know if there is some sort of phone problem, or if Data Recovery Services not only went out of existence but obliterated the usual trail of information, or what.

The problem with the disk is that IBM's rescue and recovery deleted the partitions when we just thought it was supposed to write to one of them.   One of those partitions contained what we thought was a good disk image backup of the files on the disk.   We think that disk image is the only thing that would have any chance of being useful to us.  We're not sure if there are data recovery techniques that can deal with that situation, but wanted to ask Data Recovery Services (or some such people) what they think.

It's not something that would be worth thousands of dollars to do, but it might be worth a few hundred.

John Gorentz
Computer Services Manager
W.K. Kellogg Biological Station