From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of John Gorentz
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2008 10:13 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Data recovery service

Has anyone used Data Recovery Service (517-351-2371, on Grand River Avenue)
lately?   We've used them a couple of times over the past several years, and
now would like to get in touch with them again.  But we're having trouble
making a call to that number, as well as to at least one other phone number
with a 517-351... .  (We're near Kalamazoo-Battle Creek, in the 269 area.)
We don't get a message saying the number has been disconnected, just that
the call cannot be completed.   This has been going on since late yesterday.
Our Nextel phones give the same result.  The so-called "information
services" are not providing us with any information.   So we don't know if
there is some sort of phone problem, or if Data Recovery Services not only
went out of existence but obliterated the usual trail of information, or
what.

The problem with the disk is that IBM's rescue and recovery deleted the
partitions when we just thought it was supposed to write to one of them.
One of those partitions contained what we thought was a good disk image
backup of the files on the disk.   We think that disk image is the only
thing that would have any chance of being useful to us.  We're not sure if
there are data recovery techniques that can deal with that situation, but
wanted to ask Data Recovery Services (or some such people) what they think.

It's not something that would be worth thousands of dollars to do, but it
might be worth a few hundred.

John Gorentz
Computer Services Manager
W.K. Kellogg Biological Station