 Like you say, you're free to work elsewhere if you don't wish to
participate. That *is* democratic. That's the only way a union can work
successfully. If some are allowed to "opt out" of paying dues, they're
freeloaders and they the rest of us. Affiliation with the MEA
strengthens our position IMO. That said, I know Maurice from when he was
our dept rep, and I know that he wants to improve communication
with/among members. Given that he's been in his current position for a
short time, I'm not surprised that he isn't yet where he wants to be.