From: Doug Nelson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 6:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] SMTP server that doesn't require SSL

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 04:50:14PM -0400, Hoort, Brian wrote:

> NAGgers:
>
> One of my faculty is setting up some remote sensing equipment that
uses
> cell phones to phone home the data.  It does so over e-mail, and so we
> need to configure the box like an email client.  We've been struggling
> to send a message for some time now, and reading through the
> documentation, we found a note that this device can do authentication,
> but cannot do SSL.  Also, it's hard coded (we can't change it) to use
> port 25.
>
> We called MSU helpline and the student? confirmed that MSU does accept
> SMTP connections on port 25, does require authentication, and, does
> require SSL - giving us a dilemma.
>
> Is there an SMTP server at MSU which we can use that doesn't require
SSL
> encryption? It seems likely that someone has run into this sort of
thing
> before with other old or specialty equipment.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no centrally-supported mail
service
that fits the bill, and for good reason.  That's what we had years ago,
and such mail systems become massive spam reflectors very quickly.  Now,
you could run such a mail server yourself, but you would need to pay
extra attention to its firewalling and incoming mail filtering.

Hope that helps.

Doug

--

Doug Nelson, Network Manager	 |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Technology Services	 |  Ph: (517) 353-2980