On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Tom Rockwell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about network performance from my home to MSU.  I have ATT
> DSL at home and notice that performance seems to be poor to campus during
> the evenings.  Is it possible that the campus link to Merit is the problem?
>  Generally ping times are 25-35ms from home to campus, but in the evenings
> when I notice the perfomance drop ping times vary from 25 to 200+ ms.

You can try using mtr[1]; which will tell you if there is packet loss
along your route.  mtr likes to do some pretty aggressive things; I am
unsure if it will trigger any IDS's between you and MSU.

"Note that each running instance of mtr generates a significant amount
of network traffic. Using mtr to measure the quality of your network
may result in decreased network performance."

A problem I've seen in the past is someone leaving mtr running for
long periods of time; network devices doing session tracking often
fill up their session tables from all the mtr traffic and then the
device gets all sad; so my recommendation is to not run it for more
than 30 seconds.

[1] http://linux.die.net/man/8/mtr