On Wednesday 17 September 2008 17:30:19 Joseph Michael Scott wrote:
> Ok, I haven't worked for an IT organization at MSU for the last four years.
> I left myself on the NAG list, and although there have been quite a few
> discussions I almost stepped in on, I blew it off. Working for MSU was fun,
> but my life demanded a change, and like any NORMAL functioning biological
> organism, I followed the path that made the best sense for my survival. Too
> bad MSU seems hell bent on committing suicide..
>
> Look, the days of mainframes and free speech over. Sure, they were fun and

The days of free speech are over?  What are you saying?

> there were many days of 'flying by the seat of our pants' to meet the
> overwhelming needs presented to us in the IT field. I was an exciting time
> where every single day meant you could honestly discover something brand
> new that blew your socks off. However, a group of certain folks whom
> control what could/is the centralization of MSU's IT infrastructure are
> convinced that if they allow any changes that would update or centralize
> MSU it is going to rob them of their childhood. GET OVER IT!
>
> I currently work for a large international consulting company, and have
> done/am doing quite a bit of work for not only MSU but other campuses, both
> large and small. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM shy of MSU understands that their
> business is to educate students, NOT to throw around their opinions. They
> also recognize that in order to get students to actually WANT to attend
> their university they MUST present an IT solution that will make the
> potential students not only sign up for their university, but continue to
> WANT to attend. There is so much talk in these discussions about the lack
> of funding being the root cause of slapping a quick ugly fix on outdated
> technology. Want to take a guess WHY there is a lack of funding?
>
> One last word to the hippies whom when I started working for MSU told me
> that it was against campus policy to have a firewall, or AV solution on my
> email, as it would violate the freedom of data (or whatever that amazingly
> INANE rule is)..

Whenever that rule existed, it isn't here now, and hasn't been since 9/1996
when I started here.

> Microsoft is NOT run by Satan. It is NOT out to sort through YOUR email or
> YOUR web browsing habits. They could give a rats butt whether you searched
> for naked hobbits in whip cream yesterday. Why don't you do the entire
> campus a favor and retire to some commune somewhere. Unions were NOT
> created to ensure that sticks in the mud like yourselves could ruin
> companies by demanding your have seniority..

MS isn't run by satan, but neither does it code well.  THAT is my concern.

> Sorry for the rant, but enough is ENOUGH!

I'm really puzzled at what you are saying.  MSU is not a centralized IT
structure, and I think thats a good thing.  MSU provides a lot of services
that work pretty well, but if a department wants to do otherwise, it can.
How can that be improved on?  This provides choice.

--STeve Andre'
Political Science