Ok, I haven't worked for an IT organization at MSU for the last four years.
I left myself on the NAG list, and although there have been quite a few
discussions I almost stepped in on, I blew it off. Working for MSU was fun,
but my life demanded a change, and like any NORMAL functioning biological
organism, I followed the path that made the best sense for my survival. Too
bad MSU seems hell bent on committing suicide..

Look, the days of mainframes and free speech over. Sure, they were fun and
there were many days of 'flying by the seat of our pants' to meet the
overwhelming needs presented to us in the IT field. I was an exciting time
where every single day meant you could honestly discover something brand new
that blew your socks off. However, a group of certain folks whom control
what could/is the centralization of MSU's IT infrastructure are convinced
that if they allow any changes that would update or centralize MSU it is
going to rob them of their childhood. GET OVER IT!

I currently work for a large international consulting company, and have
done/am doing quite a bit of work for not only MSU but other campuses, both
large and small. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM shy of MSU understands that their
business is to educate students, NOT to throw around their opinions. They
also recognize that in order to get students to actually WANT to attend
their university they MUST present an IT solution that will make the
potential students not only sign up for their university, but continue to
WANT to attend. There is so much talk in these discussions about the lack of
funding being the root cause of slapping a quick ugly fix on outdated
technology. Want to take a guess WHY there is a lack of funding?

One last word to the hippies whom when I started working for MSU told me
that it was against campus policy to have a firewall, or AV solution on my
email, as it would violate the freedom of data (or whatever that amazingly
INANE rule is)..

Microsoft is NOT run by Satan. It is NOT out to sort through YOUR email or
YOUR web browsing habits. They could give a rats butt whether you searched
for naked hobbits in whip cream yesterday. Why don't you do the entire
campus a favor and retire to some commune somewhere. Unions were NOT created
to ensure that sticks in the mud like yourselves could ruin companies by
demanding your have seniority..

Sorry for the rant, but enough is ENOUGH!