Good afternoon all,

Last week we found one machine in our department infected with malware
that caused massive pornography popups.  Also along with it was the
recent Microsoft Antivirus/antispyware 2008 infection.  After several
failed attempts to rid the machine of viruses, we resorted to reimaging
the machine.

This week, I have faculty and staff returning from the wilds of the
internet, and my individual workstation firewalls are detecting a large
number of scans on port 2869 coming from, it turns out, machines that
are now infected with something like the MS Antivirus trojan program.
I'm assuming some of these were well meaning individuals who thought it
was a legitimate program, and were fooled into downloading it on their
home Comcast/AT&T-DSL networks, and have now brought it with them into
work.

I'm also seeing our antivirus software trying to quarrantine a program
called " ie4uinit.exe " which I tried looking up in the Symantec threat
database, but it doesn't show up in their list... yet.  I'm running a
majority of WinXP workstations here, but I can't be sure that all my
users were diligent about running Windows Updates when they took their
laptops home during the summer months.

Is anyone out there currently fending off a virus attack, and are you
seeing large amounts of activity on port 2869?  Anyone out there know
what this thing is, or better yet, how to stop it, I'd love to hear from
you.  I'd hate to think we're seeing another possible slammer worm
here.

John A. Resotko
Head of Systems Administration
Michigan State University College of Law
208 Law College Building
East Lansing, MI  48824-1300
email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 517-432-6836