Ya know, Matrix is running SpamAssassin before our email server.  Do you
know that I have NEVER ONCE gotten one of these emails?  Unfortunately, we
can't afford to have all Music faculty on our exchange system, yet. So... Of
course, they keep getting them and like... Well... Some users... They
actually send the info.  So far, we've caught it before anything happens,
and are able to change the password.

I've noticed that a lot of users are getting a lot of spam that I do not.
Is there any plan to look at or consider a change to the spam filtering or
the entire system that MSU uses?  Honestly, I don't think I could handle
using my MSU account these days with all the crap others are getting.  I get
MAYBE 6 or 7 spam a week with our setup.  And I've got MSU users that are
getting 50 a day.

Just curious.

-dak
-Network Admin
-College of Music, MSU
-http://comit.music.msu.edu
-517.432.5045

On 7/1/08 9:54 AM, "Brian Martinez" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> John Resotko wrote:
>> You'll probably want to warn your users about this as yet another attempt,
>> and not a very good one, to trick people out of their MSU Net ID and
>> password.  This one is coming from a Gmail account, and not very well
>> disguised at that.
>>
> John, et al,
>
> I'm not sure about your guys, but we find that the headers for the
> message help us the most when dealing with how to tackle the problem.
> We've already found about 3 different IP addresses and put them in a 24
> hour trap.  Here's a link to a Help Desk / Techbase article that you can
> pass onto users instructing them how to find headers in several
> different email clients.
>
> http://techbase.msu.edu/article.asp?id=974
>
> Just thought you all might like to know.  On a related note, if any of
> you wind up sending this or any other phishing attempt info to
> postmaster@ or abuse@ please, Please, PLEASE be sure to include full
> headers!  :-)
>
> Thanks!
> ./brm