I'm not the expert on this and someone from the mail.msu team who is needs
to jump in, but it is my understanding that (a) we have been using
SpamAssassin on mail.msu since day-1, (b) spam filtering is turned off by
default and most users have NOT turned it on, (c) our spam-threshold
settings are somewhat conservative  --  i.e., we tend toward more
false-negatives (letting spam through) to avoid too many false-positives
(trapping content that people actually want to receive).  In fact,
SpamAssassin is only one of several layers of spam filtering deployed in
mail.msu.

Point C is important:  the broader the user base the more conservative spam
threshold settings need to be to make sure that people get the mail they
want to get.  The more local and narrowly-defined the user base, the more
specific the spam settings can become and the more effective the filtering.
If one sets filtering just for oneself, it could be made to work almost
perfectly, but few other people would accept the same definition of
perfection.  I think this spam-management trade-off issue is often missed
when people compare the relative effectiveness of spam filtering at
different levels of user scale and scope.

 - Dave