I always accepted users comments that they didn't know how they got
infested because its generally the truth. I didn't understand how they
couldn't have noticed that their machine had slowed, but even on campus
the network can get frustratingly slow at times. Now that it happened to
me, I can tell you one way to get it. Using MSIE, browse to a
recommended site from a news aggregator who has never let you down in
the past. After thirty seconds or so your machine slows to the point
that any tech knows it's been infested. There are thousands of sites
that are harboring mal-ware scripts. I know I should have been using
Firefox, but for some reason I was in IE.

For my home machine running online scans offered by both
www.antivirus.com (Trend Micro) and
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner (Kaspersky Labs) cleaned up the
problem. While not requiring much interaction from me, the scan process
did take hours.

Here at work I used to trust HitmanPro II
http://www.hitmanpro.nl/hitmanpro/ but even it hasn't been catching the
latest script installed malware.

Best practice as of today - Run Firefox or Opera with scripting turned
off. I was amazed at the number of everyday sites that require scripting
to do simple things that could have been better coded. Now I generally
recover data from another profile and re-image the machine.

Good luck.

Don Bosman
Information Technologist
Libraries, Michigan State University