Here's what we do on our GroupWise 7 email system:

1.) We set quotas for all users: Students are 256MB, Faculty/Staff are 512MB

2.) For spam/virus/content filtering we use an appliance from Messaging Architects called M+Guardian that sits in front of our email system.  I would recommend this product to any group that deals with moderately sized email systems.  The multitude of options and customization allow for it to be a perfect fit for any setup.  We currently now block about 90-95% of all connections to our email system (meaning that the messages aren't even processed) and haven't suffered from missing/undelivered legitimate email.  The system can also scale by adding additional nodes and dispersing certain tasks out among them.

3.) We limit incoming and outgoing attachments from our system to 30MB.  I know many go as low as 10MB, but a lot of our faculty collaborate with people and required the ability to tranfser larger files.  30MB seemed to be a fair compromise for all.

4.) We used to allow POP3 and IMAP access to our system, however we recently disabled POP3 due to issues/overhead it was causing.  We are currently debating whether to re-instate POP3 when we migrate our system to new hardware with SLES/OES as the OS and whether we should allow IMAP still or limit it just to faculty/staff.  One other method we have begun to roll out is to allow faculty/staff to sync their email (and calendar) with mobile devices (pda, smart phone, etc).  This is done through a product called GroupWise Mobile Server (pared down version of Intellisync Mobile Suite) that we receive free through our licensing of Novell software.

Stephen Bogdanski
Network Support
College of Veterinary Medicine
Michigan State University

>>> Jon Galbreath <[log in to unmask]> 6/12/2008 1:21 PM >>>
All,

                As the final testing phase of our new Exchange 2007
environment is ramping down and I'm deciding the final settings for the
production environment, I have a couple questions that I was hoping to get
some feedback on from other Exchange admins around campus:

1)      Are you setting mailbox quotas, and if so, how large are you setting
them?

2)      What are you using for antispam/antivirus?

3)      What are you limiting attachment sizes to?  I'm sure my send limit
will end up at 10MB because MSU's limit is 10MB for receiving, but I'm
certain that the receive limit will be greater than that since 10MB is not
really all that large anymore.

4)      Does anyone allow users to connect from other clients aside from
Outlook via IMAP or POP?

I think that about does it for now.  Since this is a brand new installation,
not an upgrade, any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jon

Jon Galbreath

MCSA/MCSE/Security+