On Thursday 26 June 2008 17:00:25 Troy Murray wrote:
> Our department needs to put some type of PERMANENT identification on
> equipment like laptops, desktops and barcode printers and barcode
> readers.  Just curious what others are using to do things like this.
>
> Thanks,

If you need really permanent markings, you should label things with
something like a Sharpie *inside* the unit.  Anything you put on the
outside can be removed.  I saw a Dell laptop which had ID scratched
on it with one of those identification pens that vibrate, which was
all but invisible; somehow the thieves put something on the plastic,
smoothing it out.  If you knew where the marking was you could
still see it, but I didn't see it till I was told where it was.

So marking inside the unit or along the battery compartment or
something like that is good.  Also, for the truly concerned, video
tape the process such that you can prove which laptop or whatever
is being marked at the time.

I know one admin who makes scratches on the bottom of laptops
when he first gets them and makes pictures, as a further form of
ID.

--STeve Andre'