On Wednesday 25 June 2008 11:38:46 Al Puzzuoli wrote:
> As of this morning, I suddenly began seeing virus alerts all over the
> place on random word documents, purported to contain the
> Win32/Exploit.MSWord.Smtag trojan.
>
> The below thread at Wilders would indicate that this is a false
> positive.  Can anyone else confirm this?
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1268309
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al

I'm not near a windows machine to test this on, but I would not be at
all surprised to find that by the time folks test this, it will be gone.

Part of me always wonders just what exactly all the updates are,
that can come out in one day.  I still wonder about the day when
Symantec came out with more than 50 revisions in one day.  Before
that, I remember McAfee treating all my gzip'd tar files as a virus
of type "        ".  Informing them of this, they fixed it in a few hours.

The scary thing is that with the million+ pieces of malware out there
now, collisions in the detection of stuff is becoming common place.
I didn't see NOD32 doing thing until the spring, and now I've heard
of it happening three times.

--STeve Andre'