I've generally been happy with Dell.  My strategy is not to use the
phone.  I use the email option, and tell them what part I need. For
motherboards I have them do the service call. Most other parts we
handle the swap ourselves.

My confession:  I will occasionally lie to the first level tech
support people. If they ask if I ran the hard drive diagnostic
program, I might say "yes".  I'm not totally happy with this, but I
have been fighting with computer hardware since 1977.

I also have experience with Lenovo Thinkpad support, they are
superb.  I almost look forward to a thinkpad problem, they are so
nice on the phone. And the return box or part shows up the next day.
-John