Traditionally MSU has tried to discourage the use of surveillance cameras,
particularly in classrooms and areas where students study, or where personal
privacy is expected.  The rationales have been simply a general effort to
protect individual privacy, and the chilling effect that cameras can have in
many social contexts.  Having said that, cameras have been deployed in areas
where security or sensitive/valuable assets are a particular concern and
where video surveillance makes sense as a security technique.

When considering use of surveillance cameras, I'd encourage you to think
about:
1.  How can you minimize or avoid the use of cameras?
2.  Would other security methods or technologies do as good or better job?
(e.g., the DPPS proximity card system for locking rooms, which can include
motion-detector alarms that are armed by the security system)
3. How will you make users of the space aware that they may be remotely
observed?
4. Make sure that Internet access to the cameras and to any recorded
images/video are properly and well secured.
5. Consider well how long you intend to store recorded images or video
captured by the cameras, and have and follow the University's policies and
practices for release of any recorded content to other parties, including
law enforcement.

 - Dave Gift