On Thursday 01 May 2008 20:15:21 Richard Wiggins wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting Visio to convert a drawing to a PDF.  If in
> Visio I click on the Adobe PDF tab and select "Convert to PDF" a progress
> bar opens and goes quickly to about 3/4 done, then hangs.  Task Manager
> shows no CPU activity by either Visio or Acrobat.
>

> I tried the File / Print and selected PDF with same results.
>

> If I open Acrobat and open the Visio file and ask it to convert to PDF, it
> launches Visio but then it hangs.  Once again, I see no CPU activity by
> either after the hang.
>

> This is Visio 2007 and Acrobat 8.1 running under Vista.  I applied current
> service to both Visio and Acrobat.
>

> I sent the Visio file to a colleague running XP and he converted it to PDF
> in a heartbeat.
>

> Nothing obvious shows up in the Vista event logs.  I can convert Word
> documents to PDF with no problems.
>

> Any theories?
>

> Thanks,
>

> /rich

Some things don't play well in the sandbox.

A friend had some weird PFDish problem, and I suggested getting
the open-source "pdf creator" package, and trying that.  It worked
for him when Adobe didn't.  But depending on how the program
prints, Adobe (and pdfcreator) can fail.  That doesn't happen very
often these days.

PDF Creator is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/   I see
they have a new version out, too.

Anyway, thats an interesting test, and is something you can give
folks (legally) to create their own PDFs.

--STeve Andre'