On May 6, 2008, at 4:42 PM, Oscar Castaneda wrote:

> List,
> Here is a question that I asked several times with folks at the help
> desk, but I haven't get a satisfactory answer:
> I never liked my castane6 user name and always wanted to change it
> to something else. So,
> when a user pays his/her $10 and gets a new MSU ID (hence a new
> email address), what happens to the old email address?
> 1. Disappears in limbo?
> 2. Gets forwarded to the new one?
> 3. The old one stays alive for a while and eventually dies?
> 4. Stays for ever and lives in parallel with the other one?

Oscar,

For e-mail purposes your netid is just a pointer to your account.  You
can have many pointers to your account.  I for example, have three
(mk, muk, and kolbmatt).  I can only login with mk, but I get mail to
any of those three.  The handles stick around forever until you ask us
to remove them.

./mk
--
Matt Kolb  <[log in to unmask]>