Would it not be easier for the university to invest some resources into
mail.msu.edu instead of duplicating (and wasting) resources and effort
and forcing departments to roll their own because mail.msu.edu has
lagged so much?

When faculty ask me why the quota is so low or why it's so slow, I have
no answers for them.  They then forward to Gmail, despite the policy
against doing so.