Steve,
I understand where your are coming from we have similar complaints from some faculty and staff (never students, because they aren't allowed to do much) about rights to computers.  In the end it's just a matter of weighing the issues caused by restricting access vs. allowing full access.

As for issue with your dual-head display, we have several setups scattered throughout the college that use multiple displays.  Some employ dual head video cards operating in "clone" mode and in others we just use cheap VGA splitters to run two displays off one VGA connection.  The latter solution works fine as long as you aren't trying to split very high-resolution feed, in which case you'd need to use a powered splitter.  We really haven't had any problems with setups in either form.
--

Stephen Bogdanski
Network Support