It is strongly recommended that any authentication be encrypted.  The preferred
method of authentication is through Sentinel.  An alternative method for
authentication that is becoming more popular is Shibboleth.

SSL encryption does not prevent a man-in-the-middle attack if the web site
is recording the user name and password.

It is a good idea to ensure MSU netid authenticated web applications
use SSL encryption.  However, some web applications can not use SSL for
technical reasons.

--
Joe Budzyn                               [log in to unmask]
301 Computer Center                      Ph: (517) 432-7448