We have a draft policy that is being reviewed by our Executive management, and we did put restrictions on some of these devices in our policy.  If you want to put in restrictions I would recommend you start at the policy level first, which will help you with enforcement later on.  Then you can implement Group Policies or BIOS settings or whatever means you need to make it stick.

It’s a big issue, most assuredly!

-Scott

From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Esther Reed
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 10:39 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Personal devices and MSU PCs

Do you allow your users to attach their personal devices to the MSU PCs that they use (and you support)?

If yes, do you have any protection in place?  What works and what doesn't?

If no, do you have a departmental policy or just rely on good-citizenship?  Do you disable the USB ports on the front of PCs?

We've been wrestling with this issue over here.  We do not have a policy in place; we do allow staff to attach their own USB keys, etc. but we ask our student staff to not use their devices.  Today's CNN article emphasizes more dangers with allowing users to do this, so I am wondering how different departments are handling it.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/03/13/factory.installed.virus.ap/index.html

Thanks for any feedback and ideas!

 ~ Esther

Esther V. V. Reed