I am having this problem in a subfolder called shares on one of my
servers, which is running Server 2003 R2, Service Pack 2.  If I create
any new folders under the shares subfolder, and then attempt to access
the security tab under that folder's properties, I get a message similar
to the one below:

The permissions on testing are incorrectly ordered, which may cause some
entries to be ineffective.  Press OK to continue and sort the
permissions correctly,

or Cancel to reset the permissions.

  Some googling yielded the fact that this error could be caused by
using the XCACLS utility; But, I haven't used that utility.  I have been
playing with permissions and folder redirection  GPOs in the
shares\testing folder.  Other than that, I can't imagine what would have
caused this.  Another, perhaps related issue is that there are some
empty subfolders under \shares that I can't delete, even though my
domain admin user has full control of said folders.

The good thing is that at least as of right now, it appears that only
new subfolders created under \shares are affected.  Folders that were
already there are not exhibiting the issue, and new folders created on
other parts of the same volume are fine as well.

There is apparently a hotfix available from Microsoft, but I'm not sure
whether that fix is specifically for instances when the XCACL utility
causes the problem.

Has anyone dealt with this before?

Thanks,

Al Puzzuoli

Michigan State University

Information Technologist
http://www.rcpd.msu.edu

Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities  517-884-1915 120 Bessey
Hall East Lansing, MI  48824-1033