I don't think that the dollars are as important as the availability.
This is a client-server application (not a web service which would be
helped by a load balancer) that has the potential to be used by hundreds
of users across campus, and is considered to be "near-critical".

We can pretty much go in two directions - one with high availability,
and the other with fail-over (automatic).  I'm hoping for comments on
both.  The emails so far on Windows Server 2003 clustering include some
great information.   Windows Server 2008 Clustering is said to be
officially supported by this vendor.

Has anybody done any of this with any of the VMWare solutions?  I'm
interested in comments on their VMWare Infrastructure products too.

-Nick Kwiatkowski

 MSU Telecom Systems