When it comes to commercial, hardware based firewalls, I along with
many others on the list, like the Juniper Netscreen product.   They
really make sense if you're looking for an all-in-one, unified threat
management (UTM) solution, as their product is mature and reasonably
priced.  Unless your department has other Unix/*BSD to maintain
outside of the firewall, and a commitment to keeping such expertise,
an appliance is probably a more cost effective and secure solution.
Saving a small chunk on hardware upfront may not counter the costs of
maintaining a new platform, training and/or hiring other, backup staff
that not only have the expertise of your other technology, but
additionally a new OS and the firewall itself, etc.  With any firewall
product, if you don't fully understand it, you potentially jeopardize
the security you are trying to achieve.   And if you need reliability
and performance, you may not save money building it yourself.

Forwarnings aside, and *BSD is an expertise your department has and
will continue to invest in, a PC-based firewall isn't necessarily a
bad choice.  Software offers you a lot of flexibility in developing
security solutions.   You can also achieve the reliability and
performance of an appliance if done properly.   Hardware-wise, I would
look to get a reasonably fast FSB, and PCI bus for both the traffic
network cards.  Invest in decent network cards with reliable and fast
chipsets, to avoid pushing basic ops to the OS/CPU.  The management
bus/card isn't as critical. Use solid state harddrives to reduce
moving parts, and mirror the boot disks for redundancy.   I don't
think having th fastest CPU is as critical, because they usually come
with additional heat and thus reliability concerns.  Usually its other
components that slow things down anyway.

Hope this helps,
dpk