Esther,

>Do you allow your users to attach their personal devices to the MSU
>PCs that they use (and you support)?
>If yes, do you have any protection in place?  What works and what doesn't?
>If no, do you have a departmental policy or just rely on
>good-citizenship?  Do you disable the USB ports on the front of PCs?

Good questions.  I may be speaking out of line here (and I hope our
other IT guys will correct me if so), but here in Psychology,
Anything Goes.  Pretty much like you, we do not have a policy in
place (AFAIK), and we do allow staff to attach their own USB keys,
but unlike you we also have no restrictions on student staff.  But we
are also developing new policies, so this may all change.

-- dkm, Professional Faultfinder

---
David McFarlane, Systems Designer
Dept. Psychology, Michigan State University
[log in to unmask]    www.msu.edu/~mcfarla9
Voice: (517) 353-0799    Fax: (517) 353-1652