My wife and I rely on Wi-Fi to get Internet access other than in our basement.  Our cable modem is connected to a Linksys wireless router, currently a WRT300N.   She uses a USB connected Linksys Wi-Fi adapter with a single antenna and I use various laptops with built-in Wi-Fi or card adapters.

We are remodeling and her Gateway semi-desktop moved about 20 feet from where it had been located.  It had been above the access point in the basement.  It stopped seeing the home network, yet it sees 4 or 5 neighbors’ networks.  I fiddled with the access point antennae and its location.  I fiddled with the external Wi-Fi adapter on her computer.  All I could get was neighbors’ networks on her computer.  Moving her adapter and aiming its antenna could get more neighbor networks, but not ours, about 12 feet beneath.

My a/b/g laptop was unaffected, worked fine on our network (and also picked up the neighbors.)

I went into the admin for the access point, and switched it from mixed a/b/g to mixed b/g.  Bingo!  Both her computer and mine are connecting to our home network just fine.

I’m mystified.   Her adapter is b only, but it has worked fine all along.  Did moving it closer to my a/b/g laptop somehow bollix up it getting a good b connection?

Thanks,

/rich