I've always felt that in mail MSU doesn't need to lead. In my opinion -
we need to be a follower. A follower of industry standards. There are a
corporations with more mail clients then MSU has. They aren't developing
mail systems. They buy one. We even get an academic discount.

We don't need to waste student and taxpayers money to invent a solution
that merely duplicates what profitable companies have spent millions
developing. Unless one of our computer scientists has a brilliant new
project - ready to roll out - we can only reasonably consider existing
proven technology that is stable, scalable, and offers cross platform
support.

GroupWise seems to fit that category better then Exchange.

Where are the Novell admins on campus who have not joined this
discussion yet?

Don Bosman
Information Technologist
Libraries, Michigan State University