I missed this post ... I couldn't agree with Don more, GroupWise has been the most stable, scalable email platform I could ever want to administer. Run on SLES or OES2 makes it all the better. One of our Novell servers has been up for over 200 days, the last time we patched and rebooted was for the daylight savings update in October or November. I also heard at a conference that if you pay for SLES maintenance through Novell that you could install and run GroupWise for free but this probably works differently since we have a site license. The GroupWise 7.x web interface is very robust and easy to use, also includes calendaring.

Scott Foreman
System Development
Controller's Office
Michigan State University
146 Admin Bldg
East Lansing, MI  48824

PH: 517-353-4443
FAX: 517-353-9640
EMAIL: [log in to unmask]

>>> "Bosman, Don" <[log in to unmask]> 2/15/2008 5:54 PM >>>
I've always felt that in mail MSU doesn't need to lead. In my opinion -
we need to be a follower. A follower of industry standards. There are a
corporations with more mail clients then MSU has. They aren't developing
mail systems. They buy one. We even get an academic discount.

We don't need to waste student and taxpayers money to invent a solution
that merely duplicates what profitable companies have spent millions
developing. Unless one of our computer scientists has a brilliant new
project - ready to roll out - we can only reasonably consider existing
proven technology that is stable, scalable, and offers cross platform
support.

GroupWise seems to fit that category better then Exchange.

Where are the Novell admins on campus who have not joined this
discussion yet?

Don Bosman
Information Technologist
Libraries, Michigan State University