Hey Steve, how's it going?

The protocol for file links uses three slashes (file:///) instead of two
for web server pages (http://). Where we used to use the "|" was as a
substitute for the colon (:). I think modern web browsers are handling
the colon better so the substitution is no longer necessary.

This works for me on our Novell server:
file:///S:/WEB/Intranet/index.htm

With a UNC mapping you still need to have two more slashes for the
server name. This works for me if I need a full UNC mapping:
file://///UHFSFILE1/SHARE/COMMON/WEB/Intranet/index.htm

This will work with MS Internet Explorer. Firefox's security doesn't
always allow links from a web server page (http://) to a filesystem page
(file:///S:/something). You have to paste it into the Location field of
the browser.

Gene

on 2/6/2008 9:42 AM Stephen D Scouten said the following:
> Hey, this is Stephen Scouten formerly of H&FS Systems Office.
> I have two questions for the group.
> 1. What is the format for referencing a drive mapped HTML file in
> internet explorer?  I am editing a group policy and it will not accept
> z:\Intranet\school.html
> When I was at H&FS I seem to vaguely remember using a "|" symbol to
> declare a mapped drive.  Can anyone illuminate me on this?
> 2. I am looking for a nVidia GoForce2 driver for a Dell Inspiron 8100
> laptop that works with XP.  The driver from Dell & Microsoft only uses
> the full screen when set to 1420x1024 or something like that.  When
> your reduce the screen resolution to 800x600, the screen shrinks to a
> 1/3 the size of the whole screen.  I got these donated to me and I
> want to deploy them with some of our handicapped/wheel chair bound
> students...
> Thanks,
> Stephen Scouten, Tech. Guy
> Columbia School District