Two things that I think keep getting missed are:

1. The per user client licensing of these systems causes the to become
extremely cost prohibitive when you start to talk about scaling them
into 6 figures worth of users.  For the cost of one year of licensing GW
or MS-Exchange we could hire 4-5 engineers to develop a completely new
system.  So, if we have all that money, why haven't we hired 4-5
engineers in the past?  Simple, we don't have the money.

2. These systems haven't been proven (at least in my mind) to scale to
this size.  Everyone "knows someone who knows someone" who has done it,
but as a person who has been running very large scale email systems for
the past 10 years (think 5 times the size of mail.msu.edu) I can tell
you that in that "circle" of people, nobody actually runs GW, or Exchange.

GW and Exchange are designed to be small to large business class
applications.  They do a great job of that.  They scale to thousands of
mail boxes, but they don't scale to HUNDREDS of thousands of mailboxes.
  They just simply weren't designed to be enterprise class solutions.

There is a reason Comcast just went with Zimbra.  There is a reason
AOL's solution is "home grown".  It's because they have systems and
designs that are proven to be scalable.

I will never trust a mail system that stores it's messages in a
database.  Meta-deta, sure, but not the message bodies.  It's just
simply an unnecessary resource hog.  There, I said it.