Anyone know how a Microsoft DNS server handles CNAME records? We have a
MS DNS server here, and when I do DNS lookups using UNIX tools, such as
nslookup, dig, host, and the Python socket module, I get expected
results for simple host name queries and reverse queries, but I get null
sets for alias (CNAME) queries. I did this query using host:

"host -t CNAME xxxx.lib.msu.edu"

on one of our servers that has multiple aliases, and it came back with

    "xxxx.lib.msu.edu has no CNAME record"

When I did a query using one of the aliases

    "host yyyy.lib.msu.edu"

it returned

    "yyyy.lib.msu.edu is an alias for xxxx.lib.msu.edu"

So apparently host can recognize an alias, but when you query a host
name or IP for CNAME records, it finds none. Which makes me wonder if a
CNAME record on a Microsoft DNS server is different from a CNAME record
on non-Microsoft DNS servers.

   Thoughts?