I'll add in my 2 cents worth as well.  If you aren't using the web based
administrative tools, disable that if it is enabled. I've had printers
taken down because they were listening on port 80, which one of the most
commonly scanned/probed ports.   And, to make sure it isn't someone
maliciously trying to see if they can shut off your printers, enable an
administrative password if you are using a version that allows the
feature.... just to be sure it isn't someone accessing administrative
functions and turning off the network card from a distance.

/John R.

John A. Resotko
Head of Systems Administration
Michigan State University College of Law
email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 517-432-6836
Fax: 517-432-6861

Current Chairperson of the
MSU Network Communications Community

>>> STeve Andre' <[log in to unmask]> 2/11/2008 1:45 PM >>>
In addidion to these good ideas, the printers should be in 35.15
space if not already, to prevent the outside world from fondling
them.

--STeve Andre'