I can answer these questions definitively...

MSU gets its commodity Internet and Internet2 connectivity through Merit
Network.  We pay a fixed annual Member fee to Merit, based on the scale of
the University.  We and UM pay the same relatively large fee; others pay
smaller fees.  In addition to bandwidth, the fees help Merit provide a
statewide networking regime focused on education and research support.

We have, or will very soon have, a 10 Gbps connection to Merit, so bandwidth
at MSU is very available at the border.  (BTW, the 10 Gbps connection costs
us about the same as what we were paying for 1 Gbps.)  Bandwidth hogging
might be more of a problem at local network levels, where there will be some
smaller bottlenecks.

In addition to Merit bandwidth, MSU co-owns the Michigan LambdaRail (MiLR)
optical network with UM and Wayne State.  We can provision dedicated 10 Gbps
wavelengths over MiLR for relatively modest incremental cost.  We also
connect in Chicago to the CIC OmniPoP  --  a very large switch through which
we can connect to other statenets in the CIC (BigTen) region and to various
national and international networks available to us at the Starlight
facility.  Between Merit and OmniPoP peering opportunities, we could
provision dedicated waves anywhere between New York City, Kansas City,
Canada and (almost) Seattle without the need to involve Internet2 or
National LambdaRail.

 - dave