Vasquez, Timo wrote:

> Finally ending on my initial point, if you have older equipment 8 bit
> software that is not supported anymore or provided by a company  that
> is long gone, it is time to consider modernizing your current
> framework to a more robust and compatible base.  It is that simple.
>

> Timo

Timo:

I disagree in full.  Old does not mean obsolete.  As the adage goes, 'if
it ain't broke, don't fix it'.  If current technologies and systems are
sufficient then there is no reason to force upgrades to newer,
incompatible technologies.  The Space Shuttle survives on 386 machines;
the NYSE ran its AIX mainframes for more than 20 years - all the way up
to this year - and they took the load just fine.

Training users to use a new system is prohibitive; and a thorough
testing procedure guarantees that the technology won't be
top-of-the-line by the time a properly-done system hits production
anyway.  Upgrading a core system to a new and radically different
technology is not a simple walk in the park and is not necessary.
Especially when any benefits of the move are negligible at best.

-Brian Beck