From: Ray Hernandez [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 8:22 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] FAQ - Avoiding On-line Software Tools

I think it is great to see this FAQ. I have some people in my
department that are interesting in seeing it. I do have one
suggestion. Most of the FAQ questions have a definite "yes" or "no"
answer, but it seems as though there are some where I felt I had to
gather the "yes" or "no" from the tone of the question's response.
One example of this for me is the "Can I use a portion of Google Apps
such as the calendar?" question.

Not a big deal for me, but for some people in my dept. they might
want just a straight yes or no.

Also the question:

Is the avoidance of using online applications a university policy or
guideline?
It is the result of a series of facts...

     * The terms of use for these tools do not appropriately protect
MSU business records.
     * The terms of use do not appropriately protect the intellectual
property of students, faculty, staff, and the University.
     * The university would not agree to the indemnity provisions
included in the terms of use, and furthermore faculty and staff do
not have the institutional authority to accept the offered terms.

It doesn't seem to actually answer the question of is it a policy or
guideline, it says it is a "result." Again, not a big deal for me,
but the people I support will be looking for a more definitive answer.

Thanks again for posting the FAQ. I was glad to see it up.
--Ray