Kwiatkowski, Nicholas writes:

> (b)     Instant Messaging - This would be useful if we were ALL on a
> common platform.  I realize that IRC has been setup for some people in
> ACNS, but that is a form of active communication.  IM is a form of
> passive communication, where I don't have to be watching the screen to
> get a message.  This is akin to having a phone on the desk (which is the
> most useful for me).

Nicholas,

I just wanted to clear a few things regarding IRC as it is my little "thing"
for lack of something better to say.

We have IRC setup for anyone on campus to use, it is not exclusive to ACNS.
Hence the reason we are always parading it around on NAG from time to time.
In fact, we've had a few stray joins from several members of the NAG
community, and frankly I was happy to see that.  It has led to us meeting at
least one person, in real life, whom we only knew via name on this list.
Another person a few of my colleagues already knew from taking classes with
years ago.

IRC can be and IS used for passive communication all the time by us.  In
exactly the same way an instant message is.  You simply send someone a /msg
"hey when you get back to your keyboard, let me know whats up..."  Which is
the same as double clicking someone's screen name in AIM/Jabber/etc. and
saying the same thing.  What I like about IRC better is how it brings groups
together.  I know you can do group type stuff in other IM environments, but
call me old school (I guess).

I sort of see what you are getting at by saying its active, because yeah, if
you are sitting in a channel and there's lots of discussion going on, you
don't want to sort through lines and lines of people talking to see the one
line addressed to you.  But that's also why modern day IRC clients (Pidgin,
Xchat, MIRC, Chatzilla, whatever else) have a highlighting feature for when
you are addressed, and/or certain keywords are said.  And again, also why
the /msg nickname exists.

Alright, I think I've said enough about IRC.  The long and the short of it
people is, USE IRC!!  (irc.acns.msu.edu)  Also, did I mention that SWAP was
dope?!

./brm