I was thinking of Open Source Journel, written up here:
http://attawards.msu.edu/index.php/winners/2007/mmg_445

And was also thinking of mediawiki, which some departments are using for
collaborative documentation and as a repository of institutional knowledge.

There are a number of uses for collaborative tools, and it's not clear
to me yet that any one tool meets the majority of needs.

Tim Barney