Chris,

>David -- you touched on a topic I am particularly interested in here.
>You noted you're a systems designer and not an IT manager. Could you
>perhaps elaborate on your particular departments setup in terms of
>technical organization?

You can find that information, such as it is, at
psychology.msu.edu/PsyStaff.asp, look at the right-hand column under
Technology Support.  You will see five staff members to cover the
entire department, click on Responsibilites to see what each one
does.  This does not include one or two undergrads who work under Rod.

You will see that there is no real hierarchy for our tech staff, each
one of us has some particular expertise and beyond that we work
pretty much as a bunch of cooperative anarchists.

-- dkm