Rich,

>I'm curious how folks manage access to Administrator accounts.

Great question, thanks for asking.  My department (Psychology) has no
policy about this, and since I am just a Systems Designer rather than
a true IT manager, I don't exercise much control (nor do I want to
<g>!).  I usually find machines set up to give every user
Administrator access at all times.  Sometimes I come in and try
downgrading user accounts to User or Power User, but if users
complain enough I will elevate them back up to Administrator, plus
certain applications require Administrator access anyway (e.g,
Quicken, or Eudora just to make it the default e-mail client,
sheesh!).  Also, whenever I can I create a "backdoor" administrator
account just for me, and then hide it from the Welcome Screen
(unfortunately, Vista no longer allows me to hide accounts from the
Welcome Screen, on those machines I have started turning off the
Welcome Screen and requiring users to type in both account & password).

At least with Vista even "Administrator" accounts are not really the
same as Administrator, and that gives me some comfort on those
machines, but that's another topic.

-- dkm

---
David McFarlane, Systems Designer
Dept. Psychology, Michigan State University
[log in to unmask]    www.msu.edu/~mcfarla9
Voice: (517) 353-0799    Fax: (517) 353-1652