On October 23, at 5:18 PM October 23, Laurence Bates wrote:

> In addition, I regularly have problems getting security codes for
> software that I purchase off the Internet and need to use immediately.

Laurence, this is probably from the greylisting... email from a new
sender is automatically rejected the first (few?) times, just to help
make sure it is a valid smtp server.

I have noticed this issue too, but felt that it was a worthwhile
tradeoff to reject more spam using this method.

As I recall, a second message from the same sender goes thru
immediately. So if there is some means of getting the remote end to
send any sort of message to you first, the important message should
come thru right away.  Maybe someone from the mail team could comment
on this?

> I don’t blame ACNS for the email delays since they are clearly
> related to the SPAM spikes that we typically get just before Fall
> and Spring breaks.

Not sure where you are getting the spam spikes related to breaks?  I
thought it was 24x7 problem, about 97% of messages are spam.