I was just browsing through the CDWG ED-Tech Magazine I got in my
mailbox today (the real kind of mailbox, ;) ), and there is an article
in it on page 42 for those of you that get it also titled "Give E-Mail a
Makeover".

It talks primarily about the same things that were discussed at the IT
Exchange...the openness of open source and Google/hotmail etc (lack of
privacy etc) and suggests Exchange 2007.  For those of you that get this
you might want to take a look, here are a couple of blurbs..

============

"The first task is to research platforms that will work best for your
institution.  We chose Exchange 2007 for several reasons:  First,
Microsoft is the market leader in e-mail systems.  There is a good
chance that students are already familiar with Microsoft's email
platform.  And they'll probably use it when they enter the workforce, so
letting them use it now makes a contribution from an educational
standpoint.  Also, because its natively built on a 64-bit platform, the
scalability of Exchange 2007 dramatically beats any open-source
solution.  Finally, Exchange's security now rivals - if not exceeds -
that of any competitor."

"The single largest expense for the new messaging platform will be for
storage.  If the goal is creating a new messaging platform that users
accept without reservation, this is not the area in which to cut costs.
Students are used to having access to email inboxes with well over a
gigabyte of storage through the likes of Gmail, and they will insist on
substantial storage space."

=============

Everywhere I look in higher ed postings, literature, etc the hot topic
is EMAIL...this is really big for everyone now.  And it seemed for a
while the buzz was to outsource...now it seems to be reversing with
people feeling not-so-comfortable with the lack of privacy the
affordable outsource hosts provide.

As an aside... this article didn't mention a single thing about
calendaring....I wonder if that really is a top concern/issue among
institutions...I don't seem to read much about that topic.

Ehren J. Benson, MCSE
Windows Systems Administrator

517-355-9200 x2569