On Oct 17, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Ray Hernandez wrote:

> Since we are talking about collaboration, is there any interest in
> "corporate" instant messaging? Our department has expressed
> interest in the past in having instant messaging that would be
> internal to our group. We haven't actually made the jump yet, but I
> have played around with it.
>
> We have toyed around with the idea of rolling out a Jabber server.
> The software we liked was Openfire(http://www.igniterealtime.org/
> projects/openfire/index.jsp). It has support for LDAP and Kerberos,
> which makes it n easy fit for us since we could use our MSU
> kerberos service for authentication.
>
> The nice thing about Openfire is that it can interface with other
> Jabber-compatible service providers so you can add people from
> outside the university to your buddy list and it takes care of the
> rest of the mojo.
>
> I'd love to see a campus messaging service like that, but maybe
> external providers are sufficient enough for our campus.

We've been using IRC at ACNS for some years now (http://
irc.acns.msu.edu).  I'd like to see a chat server that was used more
broadly (and was provisioned from centrally).

I'm not a jabber fan, but I understand why it would make sense to
choose that option.  Do any other departments use IRC or other chat
which they host?

./mk

--
Matt Kolb  <[log in to unmask]>