I would have to say, I agree with John.  Over in Music, these nuts are a bit
paranoid.  They don't even like the fact that I have a master key to the
buildings and have an admin account for the computers.  If they had their
way, I wouldn't be able to log onto their computer without them being there
to log me on with their ID and password.

True, some of them would use the calendar, but not enough to really make it
effective for us.  We have Exchange, and that has worked wonderfully for us,
but I will not create accounts for faculty.  It is reserved for Staff.  On
the other hand, the MSU mail system is in DIRE need of an overhaul.  I won't
even switch to Vista for some time yet as, minus the few faculty who are
tech enough to be extremely dangerous, these folks do not like change!
Training them in the use of something new is almost impossible.  Any
solution needs to be fairly self explanatory, and not just to us, but to
faculty.  As I am a one person IT department for over 100 users, I don't
have time to hold hands too much and be constantly walking them through
creating a calendar entry and such.

-dak

On 10/15/07 6:23 PM, "John Gorentz" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> At 12:51 PM 10/15/2007, Troy Murray wrote:
>
>> Tom,
>>
>> I routinely have to setup a meeting with different individuals all over
>> campus, including booking the room to use or any resources, yet not everyone
>> uses Exchange so there is a flurry of e-mail back and forth since everyone
>> uses something different.  If I was able to go to a calendar, create a
>> meeting request, like Exchange does, punch in a date and time and the people
>> to invite and at least see their free/busy time as well as a room on campus,
>> that would be a huge time saver.
>
> I have the sense from talking to a number of people about this that a)
> administrators of all kinds (academic and non-academic) would like such a
> system, and b) professors would not be willing to make that information
> available and would resist.   Some techie types would also fall in category b,
> but I don't have information to generalize about them. It has been a while
> since I last asked, so maybe attitudes have changed.
>
> John Gorentz

Dak Aldrich
Network Administrator
College of Music, MSU