On Oct 15, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Patrick Bills wrote:

> I also would love to see an MSU IT wiki.
>
> I run a couple Wiki's for research groups here and they have been
> invaluable way to  documenting lab protocols, databases, etc.  I've
> used the low-entry OSS 'dokuwiki' but run up against its limits.

We had a nice moinmoin wiki setup a couple(3?) years ago which I
liked.  Right now we're in the process of putting data into our xwiki
instance ( http://www.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome ).  At
our department (ACNS) we're reviewing some technologies to see if it
makes sense to consolidate our efforts.  Right now we have a few
different wikis running, and I'm thinking we'll probably try to go
down to one instance.

That being said, the reason some of us have our own is that we have
differing needs (one specifically being access control, and the
notion between public and private content).  I imagine though, that
if we pick the right product, most of us will be mostly satisfied.

Considering the fact that ACNS may end up with a departmental wiki,
does it make sense to immediately consider creating something that
can be parceled off for other departments as well?  Or is all of that
unnecessary?  I've seen mention of this hierarchical dichotomy based
on technology, does the same thing need to be done for departmental
information?  Would you even keep internal documents inside a wiki
that was run by another department?  Are you comfortable with that?

It seems that this could explode into a huge undertaking (maybe
that's really want we want though, I'm not sure).

> I would argue that we are already using an IT forum: http://
> list.msu.edu/archives/msunag.html.    Thank you George Perkins and
> the MSU LISTSERV team!   Externally, I live on many of the Mac-
> centric forum pages (e.g. OS X Hints; http://tinyurl.com/3cyh5b)
> but  as mentioned before it's time consuming to read and assimilate
> the responses to  find improvements  or changes as software changes.

I would argue that we should use msu.misc for this *COUGH* oh wait,
NNTP is dead!  Long live NNTP! ;)  I guess I'm showing my age
(unixicity?), but I do not like web-based forums.  They have always
seemed clunky to me.  E-mail + web archive is fine enough as far as
I'm concerned.

./mk

--
Matt Kolb  <[log in to unmask]>