Several days ago I started getting nagged by Vista, telling me it was having
trouble activating.  Last night Vista got nastier and eventually said it was
running in degraded mode.  For one thing it turned off the Aero feature.  It
also turned off the ability to download updates.

The attached articles says this was due to human error at Microsoft several
days ago.  Today I went through multiple attempts to re-activate online, and
finally succeeded.

I know of one colleague in ACNS who experienced the same thing, and I was
wondering if others had.  As of this morning the ACNS Help Desk hadn't had
calls on it yet.

/rich
 Microsoft Blames WGA Meltdown on Human Error
Gregg Keizer   Today's Top Stories
<http://www.computerworld.com/news/index.jsp>  or  Other
Operating Systems Stories
<http://www.computerworld.com/action/knowledgecenter.do?command=viewKnowledgeCenterStories&taxonomyId=89>

 [image: Comments] Comments
(0)<http://www.computerworld.com/comments/node/301978>[image:
Recommendations] Recommendations: *16*  —  Recommend this
article<http://www.computerworld.com/comments/anon_vote/node/301978/1?destination=node/301978>

  [image: Click here to find out
more!]<http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v8/35c3/0/0/%2a/x;44306;0-0;0;7138038;14464-336/35;0/0/0;;~sscs=%3f>

*September 03, 2007 *(Computerworld) <http://www.computerworld.com/> --
Microsoft Corp. last week blamed "human error" on the part of its IT staff
for a server problem that caused the company's Windows Genuine Advantage
(WGA) validation service to incorrectly tag legitimate users of Windows XP
and Windows Vista as software pirates.

The software vendor also promised that internal changes are being made to
avoid a repeat of the glitch, which affected users for nearly 20 hours on
Aug. 24 and 25. Users whose copies of Windows erroneously failed WGA's
antipiracy tests were prevented from downloading most software from
Microsoft's Web site. And those with Vista were unable to use some of the
operating system's features.

Alex Kochis, Microsoft's senior WGA product manager, wrote in a blog posting
that the troubles began after "preproduction code" was installed on live
servers.

Those systems had yet to be upgraded with another code change designed to
enable stronger encryption and decryption of product keys, Kochis added. As
a result, "the production servers declined activation and validation
requests that should have passed," he wrote.