Top quality SCSI drives cost $1 per 600MB.  Even when you add associated hardware, it is hard to imagine that drive costs could be the deciding issue

From: John Valenti [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 1:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Maybe mail.msu.edu should offer sponsored mail

On September 4, at 1:17 PM September 4, Peter J Murray wrote:

.... Putting more money into our system is not a bad thing at all,

and I suspect it costs much less than people think it does. For

example, this front end software costs $3,000 for unlimited users. ....

I'm not paying too much attention to this discussion, but I did attend a NCC meeting last year where some options were discussed.

The big ticket item (to my mind) was expanding the file system. (I think it is EMC brand?) The number tossed out then was around half a million. That was to increase the storage limit for all accounts.

It seemed very expensive to me, but I don't run very busy, mission critical services that use multiple front ends against a common file store.

http://www.eset.com