<snip>
One more point that I'd like to make is in regards the expansion of mail

storage and pumping money into the UI\features: These things all cost on
grand scale. As I understand it, the majority of the reason prompting
the U
to look elsewhere for student email is simply COST - not stability,
usage
stats, or features. Dumping more money into the system isn't going to
help,
and in the worst case, it costs the students more money through tuition
and
fees to support.

 -Tony

<snip>

But isn't it worth it?   Sure, we could ignore upgrading our network
backbone from 1GB to 10GB because it costs money, but what is the cost.
If we go to another vendor, we will be scrapping a system that is not
very old (heck, I still saw one of the "Pilot will be TERMINATED"
posters just yesterday!), very stable, and something that was built for
/our/ community.  If we need to make changes, we can if we feel the need
to.  We don't have to wait for a 3rd party to make the changes for us.
Or the reverse, we don't have to worry about the consequences of having
the 3rd party make changes that our community doesn't like.

In my mind, this is the same as outsourcing our admissions department to
India.  Sure it works, and is less costly, but the image of running it
ourselves is gone...